Modality has just released their two new educational apps for the iPhone. They started with fantastic Netter’s anatomy flash cards and now they moved on to one of the most respected step-by-step guides to general surgery procedures, Zollinger’s Atlas of Surgical Operations. Zollinger’s Atlas of Surgical Operations consists of several parts devoted to gastrointestinal, miscellaneous abdominal, vascular, gynecologic and additional procedures. So far Modality has released upper and lower gastrointestinal procedures.
Here is what they say….
The classic guide to general surgery procedures is now available for the iPhone and iPod touch. Based on the renowned Eighth Edition as available on AccessSurgery, Zollinger’s iPhone applications allow you to access step-by-step instructions and superb line drawings for numerous general surgical procedures. Some procedures also include fully-narrated, slideshow presentations outlining each step in the procedure, from Intro and Indications through Post-Operative Care.
Using the intuitive iPhone interface, you can navigate through detailed images with the flick of a finger, pinch to zoom, and tap to read easy-to-follow instructions for each procedure.
Procedures included in these two apps….
• Closure of Perforation—Subphrenic Abscess
• Enteroenterostomy, Stapled
• Fundoplication, Laparoscopic*
• Gastrectomy, Hofmeister Method
• Gastrectomy, Polya Method
• Gastrectomy, Subtotal
• Gastrectomy, Subtotal—Omentectomy
• Hemigastrectomy, Billroth I Method
• Hemigastrectomy, Billroth I Stapled
• Hemigastrectomy, Billroth II, Stapled
• Laparotomy, the Closure
• Laparotomy, the Opening
• Loop Ileostomy*
• Meckel’s Diverticulectomy
• Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy—PEG*
• Pyloroplasty, Stapled
• Resection of Small Intestine
• Resection of Small Intestine, Stapled
• Resection of Small Intestine, Stapled (Alternative Methods)
• Roux-en-Y Gastrojejunostomy
• Total Gastrectomy
• Total Gastrectomy, Stapled
• Vagotomy, Subdiaphragmatic Approach
• Zenker’s Diverticulectomy
• Anatomy of the Large Intestine
• Abdominoperineal Resection
• Abdominoperineal Resection, Total Mesorectal Excision
• Abdominoperineal Resection—Perineal Resection
• Anterior Resection of Rectosigmoid: End-to-End Anastomosis*
• Anterior Resection of Rectosigmoid: Side-to-End Anastomosis (Baker)*
• Anterior Resection, Stapled
• Appendectomy, Laparoscopic*
• Closure of Colostomy
• Colectomy, Left, End-to-End Anastomosis*
• Colectomy, Right*
• Colon Anastomosis, Stapled
• Drainage of Ischiorectal Abscess—Excision of Fistula in Ano
• Ileoanal Anastomosis
• Surgical Anatomy of Large Intestine
• Total Colectomy*
• Transverse Colostomy*
• Excision of Pilonidal Sinus
• Injection and Excision of Hemorrhoids
• Rectal Prolapse, Perineal Repair*
First thing I noticed is that these apps are very large. They have 264 and 140 MB. Also, they are a bit pricey. Each costs 34.99 dollars. The whole book would cost you 180 dollars at Amazon.com. It is up to you to decide, but there is no denying that Zollinger’s Atlas looks great on the iPhone and is, of course, so much cooler, among other things. Imagine how your next date will be impressed when you show her how to perform Anterior Resection of Rectosigmoid just before the movie. OK maybe not, but your geek surgery residence friends sure will.
Here are some photos.
Scalpel in one hand, sterilized iPhone in the other, and start cutting.
Latest posts by Ivor Kovic (see all)
- Can tablets replace AED trainers? - October 16, 2016
- Twitterverse of Emergency Physicians – Infographic - January 11, 2016
- Prescribe an app for your anxious patient - December 14, 2015